- Those beautiful white Roman statues you see used to be painted to be as lifelike as possible.
- The Romans “cleaned” their togas with fermented urine, and halitosis was common. So the Roman empire was a bit smelly.
- There were female Gladiotors called Gladiatrix.
- Gladiators were Roman celebs, and were often too valuable to just kill off.
- Actors too were celebrities, and people wrote graffiti around town to express their fondness for them.
The day ended off with some tasty food and drinks (this seems to be a theme in Toronto) with a couple of our friends. All in all, another successful Something Saturday in Toronto! We’re looking forward to exploring all that the ROM has to offer as time goes on.
Here are some more photos from our trip to the ROM: